That didn't happen. Want to know why?
All because of a little shiny penny he found at Smith's.
Cam loves coins! He loves carefully putting them in his pockets only to take them right back out and hold them like a treasure.
He is usually pretty good at not putting things in his mouth, so I let him hold on to the penny in the car as we drove home. I was bit distracted because I was talking to my MIL, so, just to be sure, I kept an extra close eye on him through the rear view mirror while we were driving.
But, as most kids his age do, Cam likes to test his boundaries. So I wasn't surprised when I saw him lick the penny. ---Gross.
Me: Cam, if you put it near your mouth again I will take it from you. Say "OK mommy."
Cam: OK Mommy. Miiiiine. No take!
A few seconds later, I peeked back and saw him wiggling his tongue around and acting a little weird. We were on a side street so I hurried and pulled over, reached back and tried to find the penny.
Me: Cam! Where is the penny??? Where is the penny?
Cam: In my boca.
(boca = mouth, in Spanish)
Me: Cam! Did you eat the penny?
(Asking him while he is still wiggling his tongue around, like you would if you had a funny taste in your mouth., you know, like you would if you had sucked on a penny!)
I wasn't all too worried because I could see that he was breathing fine and even drinking his water.
But I called the doctor anyway, just to be sure that IF he did actually eat the penny it would be OK and just come out the other end.
They, of course, said he needed an X-ray.
Nice. Just how I wanted to spend my day.
After being told to go to Primary Children's, then to the doctor's office, then to the ER, we finally ended up just going to the pediatrician's office.
I was not very nice to the nurse. Sorry.
Scott was lucky enough to be able to leave work and meet us at the pediatrician's office. We decided to have him go inside with Cam to get the X-ray. Hearing Cam scream during the X-ray for his mommy just broke my heart. I wanted to be there with him so bad. But I wouldn't have been much help, I would have been crying too!
Results came back. NO PENNY!
I still have yet to find his penny anywhere in the car or his clothes, but we do know for sure that it is not in his tummy!
As a side note, while waiting in radiology, this nice man and his son kept talking to me. They were super friendly and I appreciated their kindness, but I was trying so hard to concentrate on listening to Cam crying in the room.
As we were leaving, Scott was excited to announce that I was chatting it up with Craig Bolerjack!
5 comments:
I had to google Craig Bolerjack haha I don't know who he is either!! But what a day! No wonder you didn't want to Zumba. My friends baby had a penny stuck at the bottom of his esophogous for FOUR months. They thought he was just allergic to milk....
I had a very similar experience with Savannah, NO PENNY! Scheesh!!! Tricky little kids. Good Mom though for looking out for him.
Oh my gosh what a day. It sounds like something that would happen to me. I am sure that I will have the same experience here soon. Funny thing is I keep finding coins on the floor all over the house. I don't know where they are coming from but I pick them up thinking hopefully Landon doesn't find one of these and choose to eat it. With Landon everything goes in the mouth.
After all that I am glad to hear that he is all good but what a day for ya.
How funny! Motherhood is so funny...and sometimes not!... you never know what will happen! (ps I clean mine up the shower wall too...in response to your post. I don't want to clog the drains!--Jason is glad I do that!)
Oh you poor thing! I am so glad he didn't choke and doesn't half to poop a penny. That doesn't sound fun at all.
Post a Comment