Potty training Cam was one of the things I was putting off because the thought of it made me sweat with fear. The other thing that had the same effect was switching Cam from sleeping in his crib to a toddler bed. The toddler bed was a piece of cake, so, with my luck, I knew this potty training business would be horrible for sure.
A couple weeks after we got home from our California trip, Scott took a Friday off work and we planned to stay in the whole weekend to teach this little boy how to go potty.
I hate being home-bound more than anything, so potty training AND being home-bound was even worse.
This is how the weekend went:
*Cam cried and screamed when he saw the underwear and refused to put them on. (We forced it...)
*He did not go potty in the toilet once on Friday, and only twice on Saturday. Meaning all the others were in his pants.
*Rewarding with pennies was not working, so Grandma went and got some prizes at the dollar store.
*I cried my eyes out Friday and Saturday thinking I was the worst Mom ever and that we had tried to teach him too early, before he was ready.
*I almost gave up and gave in to putting the diapers back on about....20 times! I was sure his friends in school could teach him someday.
*Sunday: It clicked! He realized what it meant to feel like he needed to go potty and....actually went on the toilet! He also realized how excited Mommy and Daddy got when he went and he loved the prizes.
There you have it! After he understood how to go and that he didn't like going in his pants, he has been a pro. I can count on one hand the number of accidents he has had since the first weekend. He even taught himself to not go during naps and bedtime. We were still putting him in diapers for sleeping times, but after a week of keeping them dry we just stopped. I think he knew that he was supposed to keep his pants dry, and that was part of it. I am so glad he did that on his own, because I was afraid it would be hard to teach him.
Here he is reading a book...waiting for nature to take its course.
He had a really hard time going number 2, he held it for a week. After some raisins and a healthy dose of Miralax, he went! Good thing because the nurse told me the next option was a suppository.
I am so glad he learned so quickly and that he enjoys being clean as much as me! I am so glad Scott was able to be there to support us while we were learning this new way of life. I am so glad we did it when we did and that we didn't need to buy any pull-ups! I am even more glad it's all over and life is normal and he doesn't even remember diapers!
Potty training is something I never want to do again. It's too stressful and emotional. So...Anyone volunteering to help baby Ali in a couple years?
No comments:
Post a Comment