Today is the day that Cam officially started crawling! He has been teetering for over a month now. He would get on all fours, then make a move forward and fall on his belly. Today he just started moving and didn't fall. He kept going and going and going. He has yet to stop!
It is such a big milestone for him. He is growing up soooo fast. I am so glad I worked late and was able to be there. I was thinking how sad I would be to miss such and event, and how lucky Scott would be to see it for the very first time. That boy just knew what I needed!
I will post pictures when I get home tonight.
Ok, now for the help. Since Cam can crawl, he has a new interest. It's the DVD player and the Wii, which are now right within his reach in the entertainment center. He INSISTS on crawling over to it and grabbing at them. He has even gone as far as putting DVDs into his mouth. When he does this, we kindly pick him up, let him know that those are not things we play with, and then place him in a new spot surrounded with toys. But, the second you turn around, he is back!
In route to his new found electronic paradise, if you call his name, he stops, turns around on his bottom, looks straight up at you with a serious face, and then smiles. How do you teach a cute, nearly 10 month old to stop playing with things that are not to be played with? Is it possible? Any advice??
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
it is nearly impossible to teach babies to stay away from things. this is why you baby proof! plus in a few weeks, the wii and dvd player will be old news and he will be over them. Just hang in there and move everything up!
Good Luck, Campbell has started pulling himself up on things...ahhh he is into everything and constantly trying to crawl over through or under things or just lean against it till it moves! Good Luck! I feel your pain!
Oh, it's all over for you now Sara!
My motto is, if you don't want them to play with it, make sure it's out of reach (or barricaded off). A baby's curiosity is MUCH stronger than their desire to follow rules or listen to Mom and Dad.
Though, I've found that if I don't want Max or Alex to play with something, that's the ONLY thing they can think about. So if it's not that big a deal, I say "Go for it! Check it out!" They look, see it's not that cool and never go back again. Though it can backfire if they discover that the item or place is indeed super cool.
Those babies are SOOOOO determined to get into everything ... there are some things that the only way to keep the babies away from them is to move them out of reach. I totally believe in teaching kids limits, but there is only so much a baby is cognitively able to do! So, we get to do the rest!!! :) Good luck - so glad you got to see him crawl - YAY!!!!
I agree with the baby proof, but I do think like it sounds like he is learning your reaction as well. I would get something almost equally new to him and fun and perhaps even not a toy (shiny pot, wisk, toy snakes(like a cord), something to open and close like a tin lunchbox, etc. Put these items by the untouchables, when he looks at you make a sad face with not much reaction when he touches the untouchables and if he touches the others make a big deal out of how happy you are say yes and clap even stand and do a jig. You may still need to put those up to a new height but at least he can learn the reaction and get better at getting attention in a positive way with wanting a positive reaction. If that made any sense I hope any who good luck. Think, soon he will be a 2 year old in a grocery store think of how hard that is to hold mom's hand/stay in the cart and not go for 20 million things.
Post a Comment