Our apartment is infested with fruit flies!!!!!! It has been this way for a little over 2 weeks. OH MY GOODNESS I AM FREAKING OUT!
I have had fruit flies before, you know when your bananas are going brown? Almost ready for some banana bread? You see a couple here and there, but when you dispose of the old fruit they just disappear?
That did not happen this time.
The interesting thing is that we never had rotten fruit around. When I noticed too many of them a couple days after I purchased bananas and peaches, I immediately threw away the fresh, not brown fruit, thinking that was the end of it.
It is scary bad. They are all over the ceiling and top of cupboards in the kitchen, in the bathroom, windows in the living room, and here is where I hate the most...Cam's room. By the way, the cupboards in the kitchen they hang out at has zero food in it!
I read on the internet they live for about 10 days, but lay eggs often. It says to just clean the counters good and keep garbage covered. For those of you that know me, know that I am a Clorox wipe/germ freak. I am ALWAYS sanitizing something.
I have gone through, no joke, 2 containers of wipes since all this. I am always wiping down every surface before I lay any food down, before Cam even thinks of eating on his high chair and anytime I see those pests flying.
It also said to put apple cider vinegar in a jar, that attracts them, they go for a dip, and drown. As you can see above that works great, but some are not digging it.
Any advice? HELP!!! I just may lose it!!!
4 comments:
That has got to be driving you nuts - I am so sorry ... how icky! Good luck - if you need to escape, let me know!
Yuck! I'm sorry...we have spiders off and on...I wake up in the middle of the night wondering if they are eating me...pests just drive me nuts too!
We had a similar problem last year around this time. I was freaking out too! I just made sure we had not fruit, damp towels, open garbage (i'm sure you know the rest) and after a while they went away. I still saw an occasional fly now and then but no more major problems. Good luck!
Fruit flies are so annoying! I feel your pain! When we had them (really bad last year) we rolled a piece of paper, made it into a funnel, then put it into the container of apple cider vinegar. That worked so well because they would get stuck in the container with no way to get out. I hope you get rid of them soon!
Post a Comment